You will find below some information about the GAISCE award. The school has a strong tradition in taking part in GAISCE and it is expected in Transition Year that your son will take part in this challenge. Gaisce’s mission is to contribute to the development of young people through the achievement of personal challenges.
Students begin in September with the Bronze award which they complete in 4th Year. All activities are done outside school time. The bronze award requires the following commitment from the student in 4 challenge areas ;
http://gaisce.ie/activities/ (More ideas and discussion are available on this link)
1. to take part in a community activity for 13 weeks for 1 hour a week e.g working in a local nursing home for the elderly, first aid course, Life saving course, Scout leader, Underage coaching in your GAA club etc, charity shop, special needs centre etc.
*** Your activity cannot be school-based or done in school time. ***
2. to learn a new personal skill (not a Sporting activity) for 13 weeks for 1 hour a week e.g life saving, learn to play the guitar, Web design, Cooking, a language, photography etc.
3. to do a physical recreation activity for 13 weeks for 1 hour a week e.g. Gym work, Hurling, Soccer, Cycling, swimming, hiking, etc. Your school-based ‘ CUS Rugby activity ‘ would not qualify here.
4. The adventure Journey : an overnight stay (24 hour) in an activity centre in April. Estimated Cost 65 euro.
The Croagh Patrick trip is NOT a Gaisce Adventure journey.
One of the three, Community/Personal/Physical needs to be done for 26 weeks.
26 weeks / 13 weeks / 13 weeks = translates to 52 hours commitment from the student.
GAISCE are specific about what they consider ‘worthwhile’ activities.
Any activity that has a health and safety risk will not be allowed.
Any sport or activity that the student is currently doing in the school cannot be included in the physical activity e.g rugby or martial arts.
The cost of the award is 15 Euro, and we will begin in September 2016. The students will receive a form for the activities and must get it signed by a supervising individual who can stand over that activity having been completed. The fully-signed and dated form can be brought into school in April. More information is available on www.gaisce.org
5th Year : It is hoped some Transition Years will continue on to the Silver Award in Fifth Year. This is the next step and involves another 78 hours of commitment over a 26 week period of time. 3 hours per week. Or as quickly as you choose to get the prescribed time done. There is also an Adventure Journey, over 3 days / 2 nights.
26 weeks / 26 / 26 = 78 hours commitment.
The school will be there to advise and support the students through the whole award, remaining in regular contact with them throughout the year.
To print off an Activity Record Sheet for your Bronze award : Click the link below.
Examples of Community Involvement Activities :
- Amnesty International Club
- Animal Shelter
- Big Sister, Big Brother Programmes
- Boys/Girls Brigade Leader
- Dáil naÓg
- Environmental Projects
- First Aid (acting as lifeguard etc.)
- Guide Leader
- Homework Club at local National School
- Life Saving Course
- Local Charity Shop Volunteer
- Local Church/ Community or School choir
- Mentoring Programmes
- Order of Malta
- Recycling Programmes /Green Schools etc
- Reserve Defence Forces
- Running a school Credit Union
- School or Community Library
- Scout Leader
- Special Olympics Club Volunteer
- St. John’s Ambulance
- St. Vincent de Paul Society
- Student Council
- Tidy Towns Committee
- Underage coaching/assistant: all sports
- Visiting a Nursing Home for the elderly
- Volunteering with Children with Special Needs
- Web Design for local sports club or community group
- Young Social Innovators
- Youth Club Volunteer
Examples of Personal Skill Activities
- Acting/ Musical
- Arts and Crafts
- Coder Dojo
- Dance Classes
- Debating team
- Fashion Design
- Film Editing (for links contact the IFI)
- First Aid
- Foreign Language (must be extra-curricular)
- Jewellery making
- Life Saving
- Musical Instrument (ongoing or new)
- Public Speaking
- Script Writing
- Sewing/Cross stitch
- Sign Language
- Singing Lessons
- Web Design
Examples of Physical Recreation Activities :
- Gaelic Football
- Gym work
- Horse riding
- Join a Walking/Hiking Club
- Martial Arts
- Rock Climbing
- Martial Arts
- Water Polo
- Water Skiing
- Weight Lifting
=========== END ====================